Famous Ugandan Watoto Children’s Choir went on tour to the US and Canada two weeks ago, now five members have tested positive for the coronavirus.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, Uganda’s President announced 11 new COVID-19 cases in the country, bringing the total to 44.
The 11 included members of the famous Watoto Children’s Choir.
According to a statement from the choir on Tuesday, two of its teams had returned from the US and Canada two weeks ago.
Both choirs were then quarantined on arrival at Government approved facilities in Entebbe, Uganda since March 20, 2020.
“One adult tested positive for the virus on March 27 and was immediately isolated from the rest,” the statement read in part.
Upon further testing, three more adults and one child tested positive from the same group which then prompted testing for all the remaining choir members.
As at confirmation yesterday, Uganda’s health ministry said that five members of the choir were infected and one is a contact of a previously confirmed case.
The choir often tours countries like the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
Uganda is on a two-week lockdown that was announced earlier this week
The Kenya Clinical Officers Association has announced that one of its members has contracted the Covid-19 virus in line of duty.
In a press conference on Tuesday, March 31, the association confirmed that the female clinical officer, who tested positive, had been carrying out duties as normal at a facility they were yet to disclose.
“Kenya Clinical Officers Association has learned of one of our colleagues who has contracted the novel Coronavirus while on duty. The clinical officer had been performing her duty in the outpatient and special clinic in her area of duty until she contracted this virus,” stated one of the association’s members at the presser.
More to follow…
The Catholic fraternity is in mourning after the announcement of the death of retired Archbishop Raphael Ndingi Mwana a’Nzeki.
According to a statement shared by the Archdiocese of Nairobi on Tuesday, March 31, the death of the retired archbishop was made public by His Eminence John Cardinal Njue.
It was not immediately clear what had caused his death.
Ndingi Mwana a’Nzeki was a retired Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi.
He passed away aged 89 after battling illness for a long time
He is best remembered for his fearless confrontation of the provincial administration and the police for their role in political clashes of 1992 where 2000 people are reported to have died.
Ndingi made history last year as the first Catholic bishop in Kenya to mark 50 years. Records show that no Catholic bishop has celebrated their episcopal golden jubilee in Kenya. This was a first, a record for the Church in the country.
Jacques Joachim Yhombi Opango former president of the People’s Republic of Congo has died of coronavirus in France.
The 81 years old had lived in exile in France since 1997 after he was ousted from power.
According to Les Echos, a French financial newspaper, Opango’s health had been deteriorating over the years.
His son Jean-Jacques said Opango died at a Paris hospital after contracting coronavirus.
Congo has 19 reported cases of the COVID-19 disease.
Last week, the country’s President closed the borders and imposed a state of emergency to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his close aides have been placed under quarantine after a staffer within his office tested positive for COVID-19, a statement and Israeli media said.
In a statement, Netanyahu’s office said the quarantine decision was precautionary as the veteran prime minister had not been in recent proximity with the ill staffer.
“The preliminary assessment is that there is no need for the prime minister to be quarantined, as he did not come into close contact with the individual and did not personally meet with that person,” the statement said.
“Over the past two weeks, the two were never in the same room at the same time,” it added.
It further noted that the “epidemiological investigation” was ongoing and that Netanyahu and “his close staff would be in confinement until [tests] were completed.”
A separate statement from the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, identified the staffer as Rivka Paluch, Netanyahu’s parliamentary aide, noting three dates she had been in the building.
Members of the Knesset and employees have already been instructed to follow the health ministry’s orders and self-quarantine if they were in her vicinity, it said.
The Knesset said it was offering footage from its surveillance cameras to the health ministry for them to see where and when Paluch had been in the building, for the health professionals to determine which measures need be taken.
Netanyahu’s office stressed that he has had limited interpersonal contact in recent weeks, conducting “most of his meetings via video conferencing from his residence”.
The news comes as Netanyahu, 70, is widely expected to agree on an emergency unity government with his election rival Benny Gantz to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.
The two fought three bitter but inconclusive elections over the past year, with neither securing enough support to form a viable coalition government.
Gantz, a centrist, was elected speaker of Israel’s parliament last week and has committed to backing an emergency unity government with Netanyahu, citing the need to combat COVID-19.
According to The Jerusalem Post, if Netanyahu tests positive, then he and his entire staff would have to be quarantined – in addition to Gantz, who spent eight hours with him overnight on Saturday, negotiating the terms of the unity government.
Netanyahu had tested negative for coronavirus after he and his immediate circle underwent tests on March 15.
Israeli health authorities have so far confirmed 16 deaths and over 4,300 infections from the virus.
According to the Ministry of Health, 80 of the patients are in critical condition and 139 have recovered.
As part of measures to curb the virus, all schools have been closed in the country. All meetings in public, open or closed areas with more than 10 people have also been banned.
All trading firms except supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and banks have also been closed since March 15. Tel Aviv also banned the entry of foreign citizens to the country, except for those who have residency in Israel.
The Dagoretti South MP John Kiarie has been released after being grilled by detectives over his social media post on the number of people quarantined by the national government over coronavirus pandemic.
The MP, who is popularly known as KJ, said he is remorseful and acknowledged that what he posted was not factual.
Police officers who grilled him said that he was humble and did not argue about his post, admitting that it was the wrong platform to share his personal sentiments.
KJ was released before the curfew deadline at 7 pm and since he was with his entourage, he was allowed to go home early to avoid getting in more trouble for violating the nightly lockdown.
The MP said he would clarify and apologize for the post.
The Dagoretti MP came under harsh criticism for claiming that over 7,000 people were quarantined by the government, a figure the Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said was overly exaggerated.
CS Kagwe said that only 2,050 people are under quarantine in 14 government hotels and facilities across the country.
The MP had earlier presented himself to the Kabete Police Station after he was summoned by detectives for his alarming post.
During his Sunday briefing, Kagwe blasted the MP even though he did not mention him by name.
Tangatanga legislators in a past event Photo/COurtesy
The CS accused the Jubilee MP of seeking to gain cheap political mileage by overly exaggerating figures about quarantined people.
So far, 42 people in Kenyan have tested positive for coronavirus.
Compared to the punishment meted on controversial blogger Robert Alai for publishing false information relating to the coronavirus pandemic in Kenya, MP Kiarie walked with a slap on the wrist.
Alai was not only gagged from commenting or publishing on his Twitter and Facebook accounts but also charged.
Mr. Alai was charged on Monday, March 23, and released on bail pending the hearing and determination of his case.
The blogger had accused the government of not being forthright in its coronavirus updates in post published on March 19.
The prosecution contended that Alai’s post was intended to sow panic among Kenyans.